"Cultural expectations shade and color the images that parents-to-be form. The baby product ads, showing a woman serenely holding her child, looking blissfully and mysteriously contented, or the television parents, wisely and humorously solving problems, influence parents-to-be." ~ Ellen GalinskyThere are so many outside influences that shape the views of today's generation of parents. TV families can be very misleading to young people, portraying that everything always works out and families are almost perfect.
I remember watching shows like Boy Meets World, Growing Pains and Full House when I was younger. I remember the climatic, dramatic music that was always played in the background while a father and daughter had a heart-to-heart conversation after she had done something wrong. It only took 5 minutes for them to forgive and forget, they hugged, and everything was fine. In reality, parents and children could be in the middle of the same argument for days.
Sitcoms are so far from reality, and all I can do is laugh when I watch them.
No comments:
Post a Comment