Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An uneffective, non-disciplinary action.

I was searching the internet for information for a school assignment today, and somewhere along the way I came across this article.
Actually, the exact words were, "If you love your kids, love them enough to beat them so that they don't grow up to be idiots."
While I think in some way the person was kidding, because I could sense a lot of sarcasm in the article, I do know that some people actually agree with what the writer is saying.
Some people do believe in beating. Not just "spanking," but causing actual harm. I think there are effective ways to discipline a child and set boundaries and make them respect you without having to lay a hand on them. Beating isn't even a form of discipline- it is a punishment.
What does physically harming a child do? Well, it will scare them; they will feel that if they ever need to come to you for something, or if they are in trouble and need your help, they should re-think that decision. I don't think that is the kind of relationship children should have with their parents.
Don't get me wrong, a kid should [in some way] fear their parents. However, they should not fear them to the point where they feel on edge all the time. The relationship should be a positive thing.

1 comment:

Gregor Avey said...

I think that was well put, child abuse in this country is way to high and often used by parents.